Victorian health officials are investigating a new case of Covid-19.It comes just hours after the Department of Health announced on Wednesday morning its first day of no new infections since the latest outbreak plunged the state into its fifth lockdown last month.
“The Department of Health is investigating a confirmed case and will provide more information shortly,” the Department said in a statement.
Just 3000 of more than 20,000 primary close contacts from the Covid-19 Delta variant outbreak remain in isolation as hundreds are freed back into the community each day.
Victoria’s Covid-19 testing commander Jeroen Weimar on Wednesday morning urged Victorians to avoid complacency about the virus.
“Only a week ago we found that new case in the community, the traffic controller that was completely unexpected — it was not on the trajectory eight days ago but now suddenly you’re dealing with a brand new case,” he said.
“You can do a fantastic job of getting an outbreak driven down, only to have it wiped away a few weeks later when you see another incursion.”
No new exposure sites have been added since Saturday.
More than 30,000 Victorians turned out to get a test on Tuesday, and 17,612 vaccine doses were administered.
Nine Victorians were in hospital with Covid-19. Two of those were in ICU, with both on a ventilator.
The Party Games newsletterGet your political briefing from news.com.au’s political editor Samantha Maiden.
Sign up
The Party Games newsletterSuccess! Check your inbox for details. See all newsletters