A southern Sydney man who was shot in an ambush last year runs a legitimate business and does not know why he was targeted, police said after arresting the alleged shooter in a dawn raid on Tuesday.
Mohammed Saab, 37, was wounded and required emergency surgery after the attack outside his home in Turrella in August. Police say Mr Saab is lucky to be alive after the gunman fired over a dozen rounds but only managed to hit his target a few times.
Abdul Fawaz, 21, was arrested and charged for his alleged involvement in the shooting of Mohammed Saab.Credit:NSW Police
Following coordinated raids on Tuesday morning in relation to three investigations, NSW Police criminal groups squad detectives arrested Abdul Fawaz, 21, at his home in Prestons.
Shortly after the arrest at 6.30am, detectives executed a firearms prohibition order search at a business at Punchbowl and seized 235 extendable batons.
Police charged Mr Fawaz with 13 offences, including shooting with intent to murder, discharging a firearm in a public place and possessing an authorised pistol. He was refused bail to appear at Liverpool Local Court on Tuesday.
It is the second arrest in the investigation. The alleged getaway driver, Antonio Graniero, 46, was charged in May and remains before the courts. Police believe others were involved and the investigation is ongoing.
Mohammed Saab, a father and owner of a construction company, was shot outside his home.Credit:Facebook
Criminal groups squad commander, Detective Acting Superintendent Grant Taylor, said the motivation for the shooting remained unclear to investigators.
The victim in the shooting was incredibly lucky, he must have had someone on his side. It was more than a dozen shots fired at him, and he was hit with only a few of those rounds, and he has made a full recovery, Mr Taylor said.