Steven Gallant ripped a ornamental narwhal tusk from the wall and ran after Usman Khan (Pictures: PA)
A convicted killer who fought the Fishmongers Hall terrorist using a narwhal tusk is to be released from prison early. 
Steven Gallant, 43, was on day release to attend an event for reformed prisoners in November 2019 when one of the guests attacked.
Armed with two large knives and a fake suicide belt, Usman Khan fatally stabbed Cambridge graduates Jack Merritt, 25, and Saskia Jones, 23.
He injured three others before running onto London Bridge, after which Mr Gallant ran after him and whacked him with an ornamental 5ft narwhal tusk hed ripped from the wall of the hall.
With the help of two other men, Mr Gallant tackled Khan onto the ground before armed police arrived and shot him dead.
After hearing about how the inmate risked his life, the Queen used the rarely-implemented  Royal Prerogative of Mercy and brought his parole hearing forward to June 21.
Now the board has decided to release Mr Gallant, who was convicted of murdering ex-firefighter Barrie Jackson in 2005. 
Mr Gallant, 43, was on day release and attending an event when he got caught up in the attack (Picture: MEN Media)
The inmate helped to restrain the terrorist before armed police arrived (Picture: PA)
He was sentenced to life and required to serve a minimum of 17 years, which would keep him behind bars until at least next year, but now he will walk free this year -under licence. 
The board stressed that although it recognised Mr Gallants actions on London Bridge, they were not a reason to direct his release. 
Instead, he is being released because he has worked hard to understand and address his risk factors and to bring about a change to his life, the board said. 
After listening to professional witnesses including probation officers, psychiatrists and prison officials, the board recommended Mr Gallant be released on licence.
Members previously heard how Mr Gallant was told to give (Khan) a kicking, which he refused.
The convict said: We had control of him at that time. It would make it more difficult.
It was only after Khan had managed to get up again that he gave him a couple of uppercuts to the face. 
The convict gave evidence to the parole board after the Queen brought his hearing forward (Picture: PA)
Mr Gallant with Jack Merritt who died in the attack at the end of a training course in April 2018 (Picture: PA)
Although Mr Gallant is seeing freedom earlier than expected, he will have to live under a licence which includes a curfew, a requirement to stay at a designated address and an exclusion zone ensuring his victims family avoids contact with him. 
Mr Gallants solicitor Neil Hudgell said: When I first met Steve he struck me as a hugely articulate and reflective person with a wealth of insight into the prison system.
He is a shining example of reformation not only for himself, but others he has helped.
Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at
For more stories like this, check our news page.