An Adelaide man was killed in his own home by his wife’s lover because “he was in the way”, South Australia’s Supreme Court has heard.
Key points:

  • Steven Hinrichsen was found dead in his Morphett Vale home in 2018
  • Three people are on trial for his murder
  • The jury has heard of previous assaults against the victim

Tanya Hinrichsen, 43, Gavin Scott Skinner, 46, and Robert John Thrupp, 47, have pleaded not guilty to the murder of Steven Hinrichsen in Morphett Vale, in Adelaide’s south.
Mr Hinrichsen, 63, was found dead at his Nathan Court home in December 2018.
Prosecutor Carmen Matteo opened her case, telling jurors the victim had been stabbed to death by a person or people who did not have to force entry into his premises.
She said the “person or persons” responsible had “such venom for this man that they left a smashed photograph of him on top of his bleeding mangled body”.
“That is a gesture which the prosecution says tells you that this killing was personal,” Ms Matteo said.
“It was angry and it was personal.
“The prosecution case is that the physical killing of Steven Hinrichsen was done by Gavin Skinner, assisted by his friend, the third defendant, Robert Thrupp.”
Murder ‘agreed and planned’
Ms Matteo said the prosecution would argue the murder had been “wanted, agreed and planned” because Mr Hinrichsen was in the way of his wife’s love affair with Mr Skinner.
“To get him out of the way so that they could be free to pursue their own relationship,” Ms Matteo said.
The jury was told evidence suggested that Mr Hinrichsen was not accepting of his wife’s new lover after she had made it known to him she had been in a relationship with Mr Skinner.
It heard that Mr Hinrichsen, who used a wheelchair and required full-time care, presented an inconvenience to their relationship.
The jury was told Ms Hinrichsen had asked her husband if Mr Skinner could sleep with her in the bed of their marital home, but he said no.
A police car in Nathan Court after Mr Hinrichsen’s death.(ABC News: Isadora Bogle
Court told of previous assaults
The jury also heard that in the lead-up to Mr Hinrichsen’s death, Mr Skinner had allegedly assaulted him twice.
In one instance, Mr Skinner had bashed Mr Hinrichsen at his home, the court was told.
One text message from Ms Hinrichsen to Mr Skinner was read to the court and revealed: “He’s alive but has a bruised cheek.”
The court heard Mr Skinner’s response via text message was “I should’ve just killed the f***ing c***”.
The court heard that audio files revealed an altercation between Mr Hinrichsen, his wife and Mr Skinner where Mr Skinner can be heard saying: “I’ll f***ing stab him right in the neck, I don’t give a f***.”
The trial continues.