Jarryd Hayne has told the jury in his rape trial that his alleged victim was “a bit full-on straight away” in the messages they exchanged before their encounter on the night of the 2018 NRL Grand Final.
WARNING: This story contains graphic details that readers may find distressing.
Key points:

  • Jarryd Hayne has told the court he asked the complainant to send him explicit material during their “regular” contact in the lead-up to their meeting
  • Earlier the trial heard an intercepted phone call in which Mr Hayne told Mitchell Pearce the woman was “filthy” because he had a taxi waiting
  • A doctor with extensive experience in examining suspected rape victims told the court the woman’s injuries would have bled considerably

The former Eels star, 32, took the stand after the court had been played recordings of phone calls between him and fellow player Mitchell Pearce, and heard evidence from a doctor who examined the complainant after the alleged assault.
Under questioning from his defence barrister, Phillip Boulten SC, Mr Hayne said the woman, now 28, was “keen, she was pretty up-front” in the lead-up to them meeting in person.
“It was a bit full-on straight away, so it was a bit awkward for me,” Mr Hayne said.
“I was just trying to get into the conversation, she was pretty straight to the point.
“I didn’t think she was being self-reserved, I thought she was being pretty honest.”
The court heard the woman had said in one message that she could “imagine what it would be like f***ing you” and that she had sent emojis that Mr Hayne interpreted as sexual, including a wink and water drops.
“She was obviously getting pretty steamy, so I said, ‘Send me a video,'” Mr Hayne said.
“So you’re basically inviting her to send you photos?” Mr Boulten asked.
“Well, selfies, yeah,” Mr Hayne replied.
Mr Hayne told the court that he and the woman had been in contact “regularly” before he went to her house on the night of September 30, 2018.
Court hears calls with Mitchell Pearce
Earlier the trial was played intercepted phone calls between Mr Hayne and Newcastle Knights captain Mitchell Pearce, in which Mr Hayne describes the complainant as a “full-blown weirdo”.
The calls were recorded during a phone tap placed on Mr Hayne’s phone six weeks after the alleged assault of a woman in Newcastle.
Police Detective Sergeant Eugene Stek took the stand during the trial on Friday in the Newcastle District Court.
The jury heard Mr Pearce say to Mr Hayne: “Who’s this sheila come out saying something about ya?”
Mr Hayne replied, “she is a full blown weirdo”, and that she “wigged out”.
He told Mr Pearce how “I watched a bit of the grand final with her old girl” and “she was filthy because the cab’s out the front”.
“She’s just like filthy that I left her,” Mr Hayne said.
“My fingernail must’ve just clipped [her], that’s all, it’s nothing major, like it was just a little bit.”
Mr Hayne has pleaded not guilty to two counts of aggravated sexual assault.
Detective Sergeant Stek was also questioned over the collection of Snapchat messages between Mr Hayne and the complainant.
The former NRL star arrives at court in Newcastle.(ABC Newcastle: Jake Lapham)
Doctor takes the stand
The trial also heard from Maria Nittis, who has examined more than 1,000 alleged victims of sexual assault.
She studied photos taken of the complainant’s injuries shortly after the alleged assault and physically examined her six weeks after the incident.
“It would have been quite painful … I think that would have bled quite considerably,” Dr Nittis said.
She told prosecutor Brian Costello she could “see quite clearly that there were two lacerations present on the vagina”.
“It’s consistent with penetration of the genitalia,” Dr Nittis said.
“We know that it’s likely to be blunt force it’s not a knife, for example.”
During cross-examination by Mr Boulten, Dr Nittis agreed the injuries could have been caused “in an attempt to sexually stimulate [the victim]”.
She also agreed the injuries could not imply whether consent was given or absent.
The trial, presided over by Judge Peter Whitford, continues.
Newcastle Weekly newsletter: Local news in your inbox
We’ll deliver a wrap of the week’s best local stories and photos to you every Thursday. Sign up here.